Meteor City um 1940
In 1938 Joe Sharber opened a Texaco station at Meteor City. In 1941 Jack Newsum (nicknamed Lonesome jack) bought the property and added to it. At first, a roadside city limits sign declared "Meteor City; population1". When Newsum married in 1946, he updated the sign to read "population 2". In 1979 a dome replaced the block building. It was latter featured as a restaurant in the 1984 movie "Starman" The first dome burned in1990 and replaced with the current dome. The longest map of Route 66 and a giant dreamcatcher were once the main attractions. Unfortunately, the dome was closed in 2012 and vandals destroyed much of the site. Recently, restoration work has begun to make Meteor City a popular Route 66 stop once again.