Guesthouse „Löwenburg“ um 1914
The „Löwenburg“ was the largest and most important inn during the 19th and 20th century. Even the poet Ferdinand Freiligrath, in 1839, described the happy hours he spent there. For generations the owners, the Euskirchen family, celebrated magnificent feasts here in the hall for 500 guests with courtyard and beautiful terrace. The foundation of the
„winemakers association on the market“ gave the inn its name in 1895. In 1948 the name was changed back to „Löwenburg“.The inn was enlarged to a hotel which reached its peak due to a large amount of tourists from the 1950s to the 1970s. The big hall burnt down in 1980, three further fires and a conceptless management led to the ruin and final closure of the hotel. In 2019 the ruin was demolished and the land is now available for new building projects.
| Ort | Unkel |
| Autor | Unkel |
| Kategorien | Stadtbild Erinnern Abriss |
| Suchbegriffe / Tags | |
| Lizenz | Alle Rechte vorbehalten |
| Bildquelle | Stadtarchiv, Bild A019 |
| Urheber | |
| Zugeordnete Touren | Altstadt Unkel Old Town of Unkel Vieille ville d'Unkel |