Old Post Square
Since 1851, the District Court has been located at Old Post Square. The stately Baroque building with a church was constructed from 1697 onwards. It was part of the St. Mary of Victory Franciscan Convent, which was dissolved in 1807. The church, presumably derelict, was demolished in 1812.
The history of the convent dates back to the foundation by a widow in 1365, who wanted to enable five women to live together in a religious community. Subsequently, a prosperous religious community developed in the town, supporting itself through weaving, tax-free wax trading, donations, and the dowries of novices, among other means.
With the onset of the Reformation, Biberach became ninety-five percent Protestant, and the Catholic nuns disrupted the town’s image. They were more or less politely asked to return to Buchau, which the ladies did. After the Schmalkaldic War – part of the wars of the reformation in 1548, it would have been quite convenient to have some nuns back in the town. So, the nuns were kindly asked if they would be willing to come back from Buchau. They refused. So several horsemen were sent to Buchau with wagons, and the ladies were transported back to their Franciscan convent more or less forcibly. This way, they could signal to the victorious Catholic emperor in the war, 'Look, we even have nuns back in the town.' So, everything was in order.
After the dissolution of the convent, it first became a barracks, then a senior forestry office, and finally a post office, which was acquired in 1819 by the Thurn and Taxis postal administration, giving the square its name: Old Post Square.
| Ort | Biberach an der Riß |
| Autor | Tourismus Biberach |
| Kategorien | Stadtbild Tourismus Kirche/Kloster Platz/Park |
| Suchbegriffe / Tags | |
| Lizenz | Alle Rechte vorbehalten |
| Bildquelle | |
| Urheber | Alexander Kohler |
| Zugeordnete Touren | StadtGschichtla aus Biberach Digital City Tour Biberach Histoires de la ville de Biberach Storie di città da Biberach |