Senior-citizens home um 1909
The historical image of the building shows the state of construction around 1909 with a covered terrace added for residents. In the background one can see the square brick-building of the former nursery home for children. In 1898/1902 the Christinenstift was built as a hospital with state-of-the-art equipment, such as central heating and water closets. August Neven-Dumont, a well-known publisher from Cologne, gave it as a present to the citizens of Unkel. He named it “Christine“ – after his wife. Neven-Dumont purchased the property together with the old Zehnthof. This Zehnthof building had a long history over many centuries as administrative headquarters of the Cologne Domkustos and went into private hands after the secularisation in 1803. The house was run by the congregation of the Cellitinnen, Cologne, until 1982. In both world wars it was used as a hospital for wounded soldiers. The hospital had to close in 1960 as it was not able to meet modern hygienic and technical standards. The maternity ward was kept until 1973 when the Christinenstift was converted into the current senior-citizens home. Since 1982 it has been run by the Franciscan Order of Saint Josef from Aegidienberg and Waldbreitbach. The original appearance from 1902 still remains inspite of numerous reconstructions and extensions.
| Ort | Unkel |
| Autor | Unkel |
| Kategorien | Stadtbild |
| Suchbegriffe / Tags | |
| Lizenz | Alle Rechte vorbehalten |
| Bildquelle | Stadtarchiv, Bild A024 |
| Urheber | |
| Zugeordnete Touren | Altstadt Unkel Old Town of Unkel Vieille ville d'Unkel |