volume_down Audio
close
comment Kommentieren
share Teilen
info Infos

Ferry house Vollmer um 1965

Ferry house Vollmer

Two half-timbered houses in the Lühlingsgasse stood at an angle of 110 degrees to each other until 1977. The main building was divided by a narrow passage to the Rheinhotel Schulz and a narrow front-garden to the Weinhaus „Zur Traube“. The buildings were erected in the 19th century. The ferryman Antweiler lived here until 1900. When Antweiler gave up the ferry service to the paddle steamers due to insufficient income, the community transferred the ferry service to Joseph Vollmer from Rheinbreitbach. He moved into the building with his family. Vollmer was the first ferryman who used a motorboat which was named „Prinz Eitel Friedrich“. He earned an extra income with cruises on the Rhine and as a fisherman with his „Aalschokker“. His son Wilhelm continued the business until he died at the age of 69 in 1976. In the 1990s the ferry business was no longer profitable for his son Peter, who did not live in the Lühlingsgasse. The Rheinhotel Schulz purchased the ferry- and fisherman’s property and had the half-timbered houses demolished.

Thus the last important testimony of the 1000-year-old ferry business disappeared.

Ort Unkel
Autor Unkel
Kategorien
Abriss
Suchbegriffe / Tags
Lizenz Alle Rechte vorbehalten
Bildquelle
Stadtarchiv, Bild A022
Urheber
Zugeordnete Touren Altstadt Unkel
Old Town of Unkel
Vieille ville d'Unkel

Satellitenansicht