volume_down Audio
close
comment Kommentieren
share Teilen
info Infos

Four gable house 2012

Viergiebelhaus (four gable house)

The former vicarage of the “14 Auxiliary Saints” is known under the descriptive name, “Viergiebelhaus“ (4 Gable House). This characterizes the construction of this half-timbered house (Corneliaweg 1), which has to this day kept its appearance. In 1714 Pastor Gottfried Eschenbrender had the vicarage built. The vicar was responsible for the newly established 14 Auxiliary Saints-brotherhood and a future monastery. The vicarage was well provided for financially. It had a large garden of 1100 squaremetres where wine, amongst other things, was cultivated. In 1934, a large portion of the area was converted into the catholic cemetery. The present adjoining garden plot is located on the covered old town moat.

The old town wall was very close to the vicarage. The building remained a vicarage until the last vicar, Johannes Holler, died in 1877. Still in the possession of the church, active and former servants of the parish, lived in the house, including from 1945 the church guard Willi Arens and his large family. He had a hair salon on the ground floor. Well worth seeing is the old front door with a beautiful doorknob.

Ort Unkel
Autor Unkel
Kategorien
Stadtbild
Tourismus
Suchbegriffe / Tags
Lizenz Alle Rechte vorbehalten
Bildquelle
eigene, Bild HG006
Urheber
Zugeordnete Touren Altstadt Unkel
Old Town of Unkel
Vieille ville d'Unkel

Satellitenansicht