Town Wall + Patrol Path
The first news about the existence of a city wall in Calw dates back to 1523, but it is likely that fortifications were already built in the 13th century have existed. The wall surrounded the whole city. An upstream hedge ("Hag") provided additional protection to the north, west and south; to the east, the Nagold River made it superfluous. Gates and towers as entrances and guards, respectively, as well as most of the walls were demolished at the beginning of the 19th century. The city wall with a thickness of 1.5 to 1.9 meters is well preserved in some places, for example in the street Im Zwinger, in the garden of Villa Wagner in Lederstraße and in the area of the former youth hostel on Salzgasse. However, a battlement of the wall is preserved only in the courtyard of the marketplace 1 and 3.
| Ort | Calw |
| Autor | Touristinfo.Calw |
| Kategorien | Tourismus Stadttor/-mauer |
| Suchbegriffe / Tags | |
| Lizenz | Alle Rechte vorbehalten |
| Bildquelle | Stadtarchiv Calw - FC 42 - 002 |
| Urheber | Unbekannt |
| Urheber Vergleichsbild | |
| Lizenz Vergleichsbild | Alle Rechte vorbehalten |
| Bildquelle Vergleichsbild | Stadt Calw |
| Zugeordnete Touren | Historischer Stadtrundgang durch Calw Historical City Walk Through Calw |