The Old Savings Bank
"Necessity teaches thrift." In response to the famine years of 1846–47, Kempen became one of the first towns in the region to establish a municipal savings bank, founded in 1847 and originally housed in the town hall.
An economic upswing in the decade preceding the First World War prompted the founding of the Kreissparkasse Kempen in 1910, initially located at Moorenring 11. However, the premises soon proved inadequate.
On 30 June 1914, construction began on a new building at the corner of Donkring and Engerstraße. Remarkably, despite the outbreak of war, the bank opened its doors on 25 March 1916.
Above the portal of the baroque-style building, symbolic motifs such as cornucopias and a beehive reflect traditional values of thrift and industry.
During the redevelopment of the old town, the building was initially considered for demolition. However, in 1984, a decision was made to restore it to its original architectural form. Alterations and extensions added between 1927 and 1957 were removed.
The original main entrance, complete with its open staircase, was reconstructed, as were the dormer windows. A new bay window was added on the south-facing side.
In October 1985, the savings bank relocated to the newly renovated Haus Horten on Kuhstraße. However, a branch office was retained in the historic building on Engerstraße.
| Ort | Kempen |
| Autor | Stadt Kempen |
| Kategorien | |
| Suchbegriffe / Tags | |
| Lizenz | Alle Rechte vorbehalten |
| Bildquelle | Freiwilligenagentur |
| Urheber | Unbekannt |
| Urheber Vergleichsbild | |
| Lizenz Vergleichsbild | Alle Rechte vorbehalten |
| Bildquelle Vergleichsbild | Stadt Kempen |
| Zugeordnete Touren | Altstadtrundgang Kempen Old Town Tour of Kempen |