Schmitz House
Built in the 17th century at what is now Peterstraße 5, little is known about the early history of this house. It was not until the mid-20th century that Mr and Mrs Schmitz uncovered the hidden half-timbering, which, as was common, had been covered with clay and lime plaster and painted with a lime wash. The couple ran the “Central-Drogerie” drugstore here.
Schmitz House illustrates the typical features of a half-timbered building: the main framework is constructed from beams, with the spaces between filled with woven oak stakes and hazel branches set in clay mortar. The overhanging upper floor served a primarily decorative purpose.
Small windows helped retain heat, as the only source of warmth was the kitchen fireplace. The ground-floor windows were enlarged in 1923 when the building was converted into a shop.
Half-timbered houses dominated Kempen’s townscape until the 18th century, as they were faster and cheaper to build than brick structures. Today, they are rare: their lightweight construction shortens their lifespan, and some were lost to fire, particularly those with thatched roofs.
It was not until 1730 that these highly flammable roofs were finally banned in Kempen.
| Ort | Kempen |
| Autor | Stadt Kempen |
| Kategorien | Stadtbild |
| Suchbegriffe / Tags | |
| Lizenz | Alle Rechte vorbehalten |
| Bildquelle | Freiwilligenagentur |
| Urheber | Unbekannt |
| Urheber Vergleichsbild | |
| Lizenz Vergleichsbild | Alle Rechte vorbehalten |
| Bildquelle Vergleichsbild | Stadt Kempen |
| Zugeordnete Touren | Altstadtrundgang Kempen Old Town Tour of Kempen |